Launch announcement ( 2013-07-24)
Quark Announces QuarkXPress 10. Details Matter.
New State-of-the-Art Graphics Engine, Retina Display Support, and more than Fifty Feature Enhancements Mark Significant Modernisation of QuarkXPress
Denver, CO - 24/07/2013 - Quark announced today QuarkXPress 10, the new version of the graphic design and page layout software for designers who love print and live digital. New inside and out, QuarkXPress 10 includes Quark’s new Xenon Graphics Engine, Retina display support, a modern architecture, and over fifty feature enhancements that streamline the design process and improve the design experience. It also continues support for ePub and out-of-the-box HTML5 authoring tools for App StudioTM, the leading cloud-based HTML5 solution for creating award-winning tablet and smartphone experiences.
“This has been a monumental undertaking by the development team to thoroughly modernise QuarkXPress in terms of the application environment, architecture, user interface, and graphics engine,” said Dave White, Chief Technology Officer for Quark. “We’re excited not only for this release, but also the foundation that has been put in place for future QuarkXPress features.”
New Cocoa Environment
QuarkXPress 10 is the first version of QuarkXPress to run as a native Cocoa app. Cocoa is the current and preeminent application environment for Mac OS X. Being a Cocoa app brings a number of benefits to QuarkXPress 10, including the ability to leverage the latest OS X features, maximise performance, and rapidly support new OS X releases. In migrating QuarkXPress to Cocoa, the development team:
- Updated half a million lines of code
- Added 350,000 new lines of code
- Created more than 500 dialogues and palettes in multiple languages
- Incorporated 1,300 icons to enable Retina display resolutions
Xenon Graphics Engine
Quark has engineered a new, state-of-the-art graphics engine from the ground up that will be leveraged across a range of its products, starting with QuarkXPress 10. The new Xenon Graphics Engine renders rich PDFs, Photoshop and TIFF images, and uses its Adaptive Resolution feature to deliver designers the most appropriate onscreen resolution with maximum performance. The difference between viewing pixel and vector files in QuarkXPress 10 versus QuarkXPress 9 is stunning. The Xenon Graphics Engine enables:
- Native and deep understanding of image and vector files: PDF, AI, TIFF, JPG, PNG, PSD, and more
- Adaptive Resolution: Always delivers the best onscreen resolution without compromising performance – in real time and irrespective of zoom, crop, and even while positioning graphics
- Rich understanding of PDFs: PDFs are dynamically rendered using rich knowledge of fonts, vectors, colors, gradients, and transparency within a PDF for better onscreen rendering and faster output
- Takes full advantage of the latest processor technology: Utilises the dedicated vector processors within core hardware and supports multi-core, multi-processor, multi-threading, SSE3, and Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)
Modern and Optimised User Interface
In order to further optimise the design environment, QuarkXPress has been overhauled on the outside too with a modern new look – but that’s just the start.
- Next Generation Palettes: Dock palettes to screen edges, turn on hiding, drag and drop palettes, snap to windows, and more. New shortcut keys enable even faster access and the enhanced Palette Sets feature makes remembering favourite configurations a breeze.
- Full Screen Experience: Expand the design environment to fill the entire screen with one click. When working across more than one screen, palettes can use one screen and the layout another. Set docked palette groups and auto hide for maximum real estate.
- Page Navigator: Easily scan through the page thumbnails and go directly to a chosen page faster with new navigation elements and command keys.
- Measurements Palette: The measurements palette is now the single most important destination in QuarkXPress. It now completely replaces the functionality of the Modify Dialog including the previous shortcut keys, enabling continued access to a layout with the option to modify more than 100 layout settings while still interacting with the page.
HiDPI and Retina Display Support
Every element of QuarkXPress 10 has been optimised to take full advantage of high-resolution Retina displays found on the new Mac Book Pro.
QR Code Creator
Generate, style, and color vector Quick Response (QR) codes directly within QuarkXPress with support for text QR codes such as URLs and SMS as well as vCards.
East Asian Typography
Now every edition of QuarkXPress 10 supports East Asian typography, not just editions sold in East Asia. This includes features such as vertical story text, phonetic text reading (rubi) font sets, character grids, and more.
Work Faster and Smarter in QuarkXPress 10
- Import Pictures and Hyperlinks from Microsoft Word
- PDF Pass-Through Transparency
- Layers Enhancements
- Print Preview
- Key Item Space/Align
- Highlight Missing Fonts
- Improved IME support
- Bezier Tool Enhancement
- Layout Tab Reordering
- See a full list here: www.quark.com/10
Availability and Special Pre-order Offer
QuarkXPress 10 will ship in mid-to-late August. From now until the official ship date, Quark is offering all QuarkXPress 9 users a 20 percent discount on pre-orders of QuarkXPress 10. Visit Quark Authorised Resellers in Europe, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand to pre-order QuarkXPress 10 for the discounted price.
Quark’s software enables organisations of all sizes to meet customer demand for engaging, relevant communications when, where, and how they want them. Our solutions combine the power of XML with flexible layout and design to automate the delivery of customer communications to print, Web, and interactive experiences on the latest digital devices. Financial services firms, manufacturers, and governments around the world rely on Quark solutions to elevate customer communications to new levels, reduce time to market, and lower costs.
# # #
Quark, QuarkXPress, App Studio, and the Quark logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Quark Software Inc. and its affiliates in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.